Thursday, January 6, 2011

Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins











These are Chases favorite muffins. He will eat them as fast as I can make them. I make them in the mini muffin pan to make them bite sized but you can make them in a regular sized muffin tin or even make banana bread if you like.
I add about a cup of mini chocolate chips so its more like a dessert but a healthy one. As a nutritionist, Id rather them have a little chocolate and eat the healthy muffin than have no chocolate and not eat the muffin at all. I adapted this recipe from the book Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. I love this book and ive used many of her recipes and ideas for getting more vegetables into my boys.
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
mix all this together in a ziploc bag.
NOTE: You can use 3.4 cup wheat and 1.2 cup white flour if you think your kids will still eat it. Mine prefer this ratio. You can also use all white flour if you like.
I use my kitchen aid mixer and add:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
mix this until combined well then add
2 egg whites
1 1/2 cups banana puree
1/2 cup pureed cauliflower
(you can skip the cauliflower and add 2 cups banana instead)
1 tsp vanilla

then add your bag of dry ingredients to the mixing bowl
add 1 cup of mini chocolate chips and mix well.
Spray muffin pan with non stick cooking spray
I use a cookie scoop to add the batter to the pan. it makes less of a mess than any other tool that ive tried.
Bake at 350 for about 10-15 min. Different ovens will vary but mine takes about 12 min.






No comments:

Post a Comment